Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tour de Sock, October

My friend Sarah hatched this grand plan to have a knitting competition to benefit Doctors Without Borders.  Well, actually, she hatched plans for two knitting competitions: Sock Sniper (like Sock Wars, only this time I got killed off first!) and Tour de Sock, a six-stage race covering two months.

My goal is to complete all six stages on time and get six new pairs of socks out of it.  Also work down stash.  I am learning tons.









Stage One Pattern: Calable, by Regina Satta
Knitted 10/1-10/8
Stuff I learned / significant firsts: how to repair a miscrossed cable, how to cable without a cable needle, first traveling stitches, first braided cables











Stage Two Pattern: Phellogen by Glenna C.
Knitted: 10/10-10/13
Stuff I learned / significant firsts: ktbl has many advantages, even if it is hard on the hands.  Also always double-check that the skein is actually tied before you throw it in the salad spinner to dry it.










Stage Three Pattern: Chain Reaction by Tobi Beck
Knitted: 10/19-10/22
Stuff I learned / significant firsts: first colorwork heel flap/gusset pattern - have always wanted to learn how to make cool gusset patterns.  Need to be more careful about laddering in colorwork socks.

This pattern puts gusset decreases in the center of the sole, which makes a really neat sort of tree pattern on the sole of the foot.

The contrast color here is Ty-Dy Sock - it is very soft and smooshy!

I am knitting away on Stage Four, and will post photos in the end of November when I have finished the race!


No comments:

Post a Comment