Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tour de Sock, November

I finished!  On time!  I completed Tour de Sock!






Stage Four Pattern: Technical, by Jeannie Cartmel
Knitted 11/1-11/9

This pattern really built on the skills introduced in the first three stages: traveling stitches, cables everywhere, patterned heel flap.  Because this was a toe-up sock, there was some very specific calculation necessary to make sure the back of the cuff pattern matched up with the front.  This is perhaps the most complicated sock chart I will ever knit!






Stage Five Pattern: Calpurnia, by Chrissy Gardiner
Knitted 11/10-11/16


I decided pretty early on that these socks would be for my mother.  I wanted a nice light color to show off the lace pattern on the front, but lavender isn't so much my color.  This sock had a few firsts for me: first picot edge, first bobbles, and first time doing a chart that had a little "exploded view" to chart the leaves, where several stitches were inserted into the space of one stitch.

The lace pattern on the front of the socks is supposed to be angels, but my husband and daughter decided they look more like butterflies.






Stage Six Pattern: Mudslides, by Debbie O'Neill
Knitted 11/19-11/22

Ahhh, what a relief.  Six-row cable repeat pattern, easy to memorize, a quick knit.  I learned something important from this pair: there are things that can knit up even faster than plain stockinette socks, if they are just complicated enough to keep my interest.  These socks are very thick and cozy, and they are yarn-eaters.  I finished with about eleven yards left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment