Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Hugh Ramsey

The first time I ever spun anything on an antique spinning wheel, it looked like this:

I found this sweet little flax wheel on eBay in April of 2014, and drove to Rhode Island to pick it up.  I had no idea what I was doing with an antique wheel, but the seller managed estate sales and specialized in reselling gun collections, so he had even less experience than I did, given that I had actually spun fiber before.  In truth, I was suckered in by the beautiful patterning in the wood I could see in the eBay photos.  That pattern is caused by quarter-sawing boards from trees, which produces lumber that is stable but more expensive because of the higher ratio of waste.










I took a deep breath.  I took the whole wheel apart.  Cleaning each piece and giving it a coat of lemon oil was most rewarding: the wood glowed.

Here you can even see scribe marks made by the wheelwright (those vertical lines down the center of the bench).

Like many old wheels, this one had a lovely well-worn imprint on the treadle, made by the ball of the foot of a previous owner.




As an extra bonus treat, I discovered a maker's mark!  It enabled me to unlock a lot of information about this wheel's history.  "HR" is Hugh Ramsey, who was born in Londonderry, NH in 1753 and died in Holderness, NH in 1831.  He was the son of Irish immigrants and a Revolutionary War veteran.  His wheels share many design features with those of a cluster of spinning-wheel maker families based in Londonderry in the early 19th century.

(Spinning Wheel Sleuth #48 has two articles about Londonderry makers and Hugh Ramsey.)

It was a perfect first-wheel restoration project: my HR was completely intact and needed only minimal shimming to get everything into alignment.  I added a nylon spacer to snug the bobbin up to the whorl and part of a bamboo skewer to peg the wheel axle in place, and away we went!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just purchased the same wheel same markings. She spins beautifully!! Glad to see someone else is still using one of these beautiful wheels.
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Hugh Ramsey flax wheel that is pretty much identical to the one you bought in Rhode Island. Mine has been in my family since at least the early 1800s. It belonged to my 3rd great grandmother who was born in 1799. Whether it belonged to her parents or not I don't know, but her daughter in law was still using it at the end of the 19th century and she showed her grandson, my grandfather how to use it when he was a boy. Since they lived in Sandwich and Tamworth, NH, not far from where Hugh Ramsey lived and worked, they possibly acquired it when it was new from him.

    ReplyDelete