Monday, February 22, 2010

Sock Lab - Let the Experiments Begin!

I believe that people tend to fall on a spectrum between color and texture.  I am definitely far, far on the color end.  What that means, in terms of socks, is that I buy a lot of crazy patterned sock yarn.  But I have learned (the hard way) that the crazier the yarn is, the simpler the pattern has to be.  So I make plain old stockinette socks that show off my yarn really nicely, but bore me to tears.

To combat ennui, I decided this weekend to suss out as many unusual sock constructions as I could find.  So far I have a good list of patterns to try, all with unique or atypical geometry:
Boxcars
Sidewinders
Rainbow Socks
Peppermintoes
Divergent
Target Practice
Hat Heels
Skew
Vice Versa


I cast on a pair of Rainbow Socks this weekend, and so far I am really happy with the look.  I dyed the yarn especially for this pattern, after trying it with different yarn and frogging when I didn't like the patterning.

1 comment:

  1. I love the affect of the short rows with your hand-dyed yarn. What a neat idea for socks -- I've added them to my Ravelry queue :-)

    ReplyDelete